ABOUT US BOARD OF GOVERNERS
Reston Community Center 2004 Citizen Survey
In October through December 2004, the Center for Survey Research at the University of Virginia completed a survey of the citizens of Reston, VA, on behalf of the Reston Community Center (RCC).The purpose was to assess citizen opinion on several matters of interest to the Board of Governors of the RCC. A similar survey was conducted in 2001. A summary of the findings from the 2004 survey is below:
- 94.8% of respondents have heard of the RCC.
- 81.9% considered themselves to be some what or very familiar with the RCC.
- 92.2% said that the RCC is somewhat or very important to the quality of life in Reston.
- 88.6% said that the RCC makes Reston a more attractive place to live.
- 70.6% said that the RCC makes Reston a more attractive place for businesses.
- When asked if the RCC should expand or reduce its programming, 41.9% said expand, 2.3% said reduce, and 55.8% said keep it the same.
- The most frequently used programs were attending theater performances, swimming and/or swim instruction, and fitness and exercise programs. These programs also received the highest ratings for likely future participation.
- The least frequently used programs were kayaking and canoeing classes, Teen Future Series, and after-school programs. Teen Future Series, after-school programs,
- Cooking classes were the 16th most currently used program but increased to the 6th most likely program to be used in the future; youth and teen summer camps dropped from 8th on the current use list to 18th on the future use list; and room rental dropped from 4th on the current use list to 12th on the future use list.
- The vast majority of respondents believe that activities and programs are priced "about right."
- 30.3% of those reporting that they have used the internet in the past 12 months reported that they have visited the RCC website.
- The most frequently sought information on the RCC website was information about class offerings, event times, and upcoming events. Least frequently sought is information about scholarship programs, Board of Governors, and employment.
- 91.5% of website users were somewhat or very satisfied with the information found on the RCC website.
- 94.3% of respondents were somewhat or very satisfied with the facilities of the RCC.
- 95.7% of respondents were somewhat or very satisfied with the programs of the RCC.
- 90.3% of respondents were somewhat or very satisfied with the value for their tax dollar that they receive from the RCC.
Overall, the people of Reston are very familiar with the RCC and believe that it is an important part of the community. In addition, they make good use of many of the programs found at the RCC and are very satisfied with the programs, facilities, and value for their tax dollar. This high level of satisfaction has remained constant since 2001.